Thursday, March 6, 2008

I'm going to graduate school!

Hey all, I've accepted WSU's offer to attend graduate school in their education department! I'm thrilled to be going, nervous, excited, and happy! I've also received a full assistantship with additional support from the McNair program, and will start in the fall.

WSU is going to be a great fit for me. I get to study issues of inequality, gender, race, and social class. I'll also have excellent mentorship, as they advocate this is a key component to a successful education. I've had the opportunity to meet the students and they have all said wonderful things about the program and the professors, which makes me feel reassured! Plus, my family and I will have all the comforts of being close to one another, which is so so so so important to me. My family (included my extended family) is my rock! They are going to help me get through this. They helped me get into graduate school.

I just have to pay homage to those that have been key to my success of entrance.
My McNair mentor, Dr. John Mihelich, who has been an excellent professor, mentor, friend, and advisor. Without his support, I know I wouldn't have a chance for graduate school! Not only did he get me interested in sociological issue and critical thinking, but he has also given me several opportunities to boost my skills with mentorship opportunities and research assistant positions. He has also strengthened my reading, writing, and analytical skills. All skills that will serve me for a lifetime. But more important than any of these things, he taught me that my experiences do matter, and that has helped shape my passion for graduate school.

Dr. Debbie Storrs, who is my absolute role model. She is the smartest person I know. Her support and encouragement throughout this process has been immeasurable, and she has stuck by me in everything from editing multiple drafts of writing samples to giving me words of encouragement when my confidence crumbled and I didn't think I could do it (definitely more than once). She is also the busiest person I know, and she has spent much of her valuable time coaching, instructing, and guiding me to success always making time for me. There aren't words to explain my gratitude towards these two people; whom have been the gatekeepers of me advancing to a world that I thought was never possible at one time--who have changed the course of my life in more ways than one, and who have inspired me and helped me mature in all dimensions of my life.

Dr. Patrick Gillham who wrote me several outstanding letters of reference for me. He also has given me the opportunity to do research under his guidance, and he helped me get my writing samples into shape. He made me cut and cut and cut some more from my sample, which was painful, but in the end made such a huge difference. He also has been a great help in my pursuit towards grad. school.

Dr. Vicki Trier, who accepted me into the McNair Program. The McNair program, which I am still in, is a wonderful program that helps first generation college students and underrepresented students pursue graduate school. She has helped me get through the nuts and bolts of applying and all the thousand steps in between, which have been exhausting and trying. The program also funds all of the expenses of applying, with exam fees, travel fees, and application fees. Without her program I definitely wouldn't be going to graduate school. I appreciate the hours she spent out of class talking to me about school and research options.

And finally my family!!! My parents, Wes, and my daughter. For some the pursuit of graduate school is not a big step. For some, it's just a matter of filling out the paperwork, but that wasn't the case for me. For some, they have all the time in the world...I hadn't even thought of going to graduate school until about a year before I applied; a little while after I had Halle. Her presence invigorated a drive and determination far beyond what I could have imagined. She also inspired me, involuntarily to begin caring about certain things that were asleep, so-to-speak. Her presence challenges me everyday to do better in anyway possible, which is sometimes exhausting, frightening, and frustrating, but also more rewarding than anything. Anything! My pursuit of graduate school is in many ways for her, but also for my family who still sacrifices for me to this day. Thanks to my partner for taking on extra responsibilities, sacrificing time, and putting up with my stress. And thanks to my parents for their thousands of miles spent driving to and fro to help me out when I've been in a pinch, or to let me sleep in after I was up late late doing homework, and for giving me an outlet so I could relax and recharge & spend time nurturing my relationships outside of school. And also to my extended family, the Tinneys and Dee Ann Smith, my long-time mentor, first grade teacher and second mother. In their ways and familial support, they have also made it possible for me to go.

As you can see, I definitely did not do this by myself. It has taken a village to raise me up where I'm about to go; without this enormous amount of support and guidance I wouldn't be going. Hands down, I needed every single one of these people. And bc of them I'm going to be attending a top-notch program. I no doubt will be counting on them in the days ahead, but I just wanted to take this time out to express my deep gratitude and appreciation--and to express my awe of the power of collective support. It humbles me to know that I have a such a grand support system and network of family, friends, and professionals who want me to succeed and achieve.

No comments:

Summer solstice

Summer solstice
Ripped from immersiveinstitute.com